Pages

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Surprise...

So…it was a cool winter’s evening and my family and I had plans to attend a play.
Near intermission, my twelve year old daughter began to whisper in my ear that she didn't feel well. 

"What's the matter?" I said.

"My stomach hurts.  I need to go," she replied.

"Ok, do you need to go to the restroom?”

"No, I need to go home.  I'm really not feeling well," she sulked.

It was then that I silently thought to myself...Was this it? Was this women's day sick?!?  Was this a… I need to stop by CVS on the way home - stomach hurt sick?  I was horrified...and crying on the inside!  I was not prepared for this.  I mean, I hadn't lifted nearly enough weights or even brought a gun to at least pretend to know how to clean one in front of her teenage suitors!  In addition to being horrified, I looked over at the boys and they were just plain restless and had long lost interest in the play.  They had simply resorted to arguing over who would play the PSP. 

As intermission wound down, I'd made up my mind.  It was obviously time to leave and to confiscate the PSP!  We then made our way to the car and magically it seemed as if my daughter felt better but the boys were still fighting.  In fact, they were near having me act out that scene on Good Times with Penny and the iron! (Only joking)

So, we arrived home and I pulled into the garage and everyone exited the car including my sister who rode with us.  When I opened the door, my only thoughts were "Don't beat em' while you're angry...don't beat em' while you're angry!  My face was tight! It was then that my youngest went sprinting back to the corner of the garage crying and my oldest boy later tells me that his knees went weak! 

I'd been GOT!  It seems that my daughter’s sickness was all a part of the plan to get me home.  Imagine my surprise when I walked through the door.  Lights were flashing and folks yelled surprise!  It was all unexpected and my mouth was left agape.  As I took it all in and retrieved the youngin shivering in the corner of the garage, I was filled with joy like never before.  My house had never seen so many people and not once had I ever been thrown a surprise birthday party.  There was food, balloons, and even decorations, but most importantly, those who desired to share that moment with me….way down in Timbuktu land!  This was, if it ever had a face…LOVE…

To read more please be sure to purchase a copy of my soon to be published book chronicling my life as a single father.  Also, feel free to donate toward its costs if you so choose by clicking the donate button @ http://chroniclesofasinglefather.blogspot.com. Thanks for taking this journey with me.

Miracles and Blessings

Tron

No comments:

Post a Comment