Pages

Thursday, December 3, 2009

Conversation...

The other day while I was in my car grooving to little Tevin Campbell's "Can we talk" (Circa 1991) and simultaneously doing the bankhead bounce when my oldest boy tugged on my shirt..."Daddy can you buy me some skinny jeans???

 Ok, don't worry people I handled it! Realizing the importance of such a subject I had to address it...like immediately! I calmly turned down the radio (my 90's radio high fully blown at this point), pulled over and hung my head. After a few seconds I figured I'd get myself together and help the boy out! I mean wouldn't you feel like a failure of a parent if your kid asked that question in public? So I had to school him about the perils of skinny jeans.

You know, having that conversation made me think of that scripture that says "Teach them to your children, talking about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up...." This is referring to the Word of course. This got me thinking.
I began calculating the amount of time I spent with them in the car and decided to make better use of that time instead of filling it with sports radio and music, barring more important things like listening to The Temptations "Silent Night" of course! This only because listening demands nothing less than complete silence! Surely the Big man understands that one!

What I found was that this conversation fruited endless topics that could be used as "teachable moments!" As a parent I find that I often assume they know things like..."drugs kill your brain cells" or doing stupid things to fit in with the "in" crowd isn't always the best thing to do. I urge you parents out there to do the same-teach them what you know- teach them about the time you wore your jeans backwards to school because "Criss Cross" did so!

Bottom line is that we all do stupid things but don't let your kid be Sams (the one the principal talks to on the roof telling him to jump because he's wasting his life away!) Love them through it with conversation from you is all I'm saying -then teach them the bankhead!

1 comment:

  1. LOL@you pulling over to get yourself together. I might have cursed if it was my son, lol.

    Point well taken, I often do that same turn the radio off and just have talks with my girls, they HATE it some days but I think it's much needed.

    Good one, Tron!

    ReplyDelete