Pages

Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Support...

True Story...

I was at a pee wee league football game once and this kid, he had to have been about 12 or so, was streaking down the sideline about to score. The crowd was going crazy and as he ran down the sideline- so did the kids mom! Upon reaching the end zone his friends celebrated with him and swore that they'd seen his mom give a mean stiff arm to the defensive safety close to the sideline. Now that's support, embarrassing I'd bet, but support nonetheless!

I must say, I don't think I'm as dedicated
a parent as that young lady but I see how it could happen. You put so much into your kids that it just happens. Kinda like when I used to feed my kids baby food and my mouth would open as I fed them. It's almost as if you could live their lives for them - but we can't. That's why we must, as parents, give them the support they need while they're young and sometimes that could mean just being there.

You know, one of the earliest memories I have of my step dad is being taken out to some elementary school basketball court to shoot hoops. The problem was, I don't think I was strong enough to even get the ball to the rim. That meant a lot of ball chasing on his part! Again, not sure I'm up to that task.

Today, as I remember all that support and dedication sowed in me, I feel obligated to at least jog down the sideline a little bit- but only real cool like of course! And although my kids haven't played a lick of football as of yet, I feel up to the task - they've done soccer, gymnastics, dance, and basketball where my youngest son took his first steps.

It is my hope that I can one day influence my kids to be just as much as a source of support to their kids as I try to be to them. The way I see it, as parents, we have an awesome responsibility because what we do will determine how future generations prosper.

So I say, make as many games and practices as you can, chase as many balls as it takes, and practice your stiff arms whenever you have the opportunity! Oh, and I wasn't embarrassed at all when I saw her nearly beat me down the sidelines that day. She was the reason I scored because I would have never lived down getting beat to the end zone by my momma! I dedicate that years' MVP trophy to her!
Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

No comments:

Post a Comment