Pages

Monday, December 7, 2009

Stress...

What an interesting topic...this thing called stress. We all have it, some to higher degrees, it affects us all in different ways, and we handle it differently. This always made it seem rather elusive to me. I mean, can you ever properly diagnose it, grasps its stages, or treat it? Many would say yes but for a long time - NOPE - not for your boy!

I would have to say that becoming a father at the age of 17 allowed for stress to practically...how do you say???... "Ravish and have its way with me!" I remember a time staying up late in college spending hours finishing up a computer program only have it disappear with the stroke of a key and having my two year old wake due to my stressful "reactive expressions!" The ambient glow of my laptop - her night light. At times, it was so overwhelming that I'd just ignore it. I mean, stress or no stress, things had to get done and I wasn't about to cave in.

It wasn't until a few years ago when I found myself at the emergency room for the third time that week that I decided that I should probably take it a bit more seriously. I couldn't even talk and this was not due to a vow of silence! I'd go to work, pick up a call and literally be unable to speak. My mouth would move but no sound. When a diagnosis of stress was even suggested from a doctor it immediately made me utter he word "riiiiggghhht!" That was then followed by a litany of thoughts as to what school they'd gotten their degree, fully convinced that they had no clue or a problem with "giving up." Then again these were doctors in DC, giving them a higher probability of being Skins fans and they "punt" all the time!

After finally humoring the doctor that stress didn't just exist in Muppet land, I found ways to deal with it. For me, my favorite stress release just happens to be running! It's getting out on the track after my "best laid plans" at work go awry or my kids just "can't get right," that it all disappears! Really- who can think about anything when your mind is trying to reason why you shouldn't run the last mile and your body suggests that you should have stopped after the first!

You see, what I needed to realize was that we all have stress and we all need several of our own outlets for it. We don't all have to be teenage parents, single parents, or even parents at all for it to a variable in our lives. I am however convinced that it quadruples with your first diaper purchase!

OK...I realize that I was a little late in figuring this whole stress thing out but I felt obligated to bring it to your attention. Take from it what you might and try the track thing. Take the kids when they act up, it's pure torture for them to watch you run around a track or "God forbid" run a lap! Muuuaah ha ha ha ha!

Bottom line is that stress is real and as parents I urge you all to find a convenient solution to dealing with it before you are forced to take advice from doctors who may be Skins fans!

1 comment: